A special version of the MTS3000 – Restan system can be used to determine residual stress on plastic and polymeric materials.
It is actually the ONLY system in the world specifically designed to carry out these tests, thanks to a modification of standard drilling technology. Drilling is done at very low speed (200 RPM) in order not to generate local heat in the material, and at reduced feed speed to minimize the effect of drilling in determining residual stresses (approx. 0.1 mm/min).
The system is equipped with an electronic device that makes this test completely automatic, easy and fast; moreover, residual stress are measured without melting material and without local burning.
Other advantages using MTS3000 system for plastic material are:
- Fully automatic drilling system
- Fully automatic acquisition system
- Reduced time for realizing a residual stress measurement
- Higher precision in drilling the hole
- Smaller uncertainty in residual stress measurement